David,

And therein lies the rub (sorry Hamlet). The formulae for strings are
predictive for known instruments and the physics of the strings. But you use
the word "happy" in describing a string sound. (Although you say happy at E
or F, or anything in between - what is between E and F that isn't in an
Oriental scale <g>).

I'm getting a lot of good input from this list, and links to the math. But
there seem to be some criteria for musical sound that aren't covered in the
traditional formulae.

Just for argument let us say that there is only one material for a string,
we'll call it George so no one will think of gut or nylon or steel or
whatever. George strings have a certain material strength (tensile strength)
and a certain density (mass per unit). George strings are perfect in
structure, there are no weak points from manufacture and the gauge is
perfect to the angstrom unit, and there is no point where the density is
greater due to an error in the mixture of ingredients used in making the
"string soup" from which it is drawn.

OK, we know that George strings have a breaking pitch at any given length,
whatever the guage of the string. That is because the unitary tensile
strength enables it to take more stress as the cross section increases. And
the given pitch requires more tension at a given length when the unitary
mass (guage) is greater. This is empirically true, although I'm not sure if
it is actually so when one gets to extremes out of the range of musical
strings (bridge cables or microfibers - so the math may not be perfect).

We also know that there is a subjective factor as to "action", the harpist
likes each string to feel similar from bass to treble, and the fnger stopped
player (lute, guitar, violin) likes to feel the same pressure in stopping
the string.

And we know that the volume of the sound is a function of the amplitude of
the vibration (along with amplifying factors such as the nature of the
soundboard, and sympathetic strings - but let us forget then for now).

What I am finding is that shorter string lengths (VL) seem to have a more
musical sound when under less tension (which allows greater freedom for the
string to sound on more nodal points, and therefore more overtones). The
"full length" lute (my 63.5, but that is a bit long for a G lute - make it
about 60cm) is quite comfortable with a chanterelle at near to the break
pitch, but my 36cm charango is rather dull when the string is that close to
full capacity.

I go on too long, but I believe there is information here. My harp, and
every harp I know, is "plinky" in the upper registers. I think that is
because the strings are chosen to match the tension to keep the "action". On
fingerboard instruments one must keep the amplitude of the vibrations down
enough to not get a buzz on the frets, and yet try to balance the action of
the several courses. As an old folk guitarist who doesn't strike the strings
hard I just saved myself a lot of money by modifying the string height
(filing the nut and the bridge) to "ease" the action on my old beastie. I
tried a number of new guitars to get a faster action, and found that none of
them matched my old beast in tone, so I figured I'd ease the action the
other way - just lower the strings over the frets.

And there is the trade off. Nothing is perfect. If the string is too low
over the fret it will buzz, but that can be cured with a thicker guage so
the amplitude is less. But then the greater tension for the pitch will
change the overtones. That was simplistic, the other trade offs are a bit
more complex. The musician wants a consistant action on all courses, but
also the perfect tension on the particular length for the best sound. As the
action/tension combination varies by the length of the string, and the
freedom of vibration in the sense of overtones does also, this is an
impossibility. The best one can do is strike a balance of the various
factors. And I think that needs more work when one wants to cross from one
instrument to another (or one size to another within a family).

Best, Jon