Roman,

Thanks,

> Assuming the tuning in G: 7th should be an F, and I think the midi is in
> error there, will have to check.

With your indulgence I'll ask a bit more. ( I haven't played the midi yet,
don't want to be confused with the real sound while I work out my own
playing). I've converted the piece (Cantio Sarmantica XVI) into modern
score, partly as I wanted to try it on the harp and partly in order to
intabulate it for my "chandora" (yes, I could go directly, but by going to
score I can set the pitch (key) for the best fingering by using the interim
step. Turns out it is, as written, in G minor with a G tuning.

I think the tab may be "wrong/ misleading" in the 17th measure. If I assume
the "/a" to be one whole tone below the 7th course (which on the G tuning is
F), then the "a" below the tabulation is an F and the "/a" an Eb. That
doesn't fit the sense of the music. (Remember that the treatment of the 7th
course depends on its tuning). The result of that for that measure is a low
Eb combined with a C, and the next pair of notes is a low F and a D, then a
low C and an E. I think that what is probably intended is the open fifth of
F/C (which would match the "a" for the 7th course), then G/D (which would be
the "a" on the sixth course, rather than "below the line", then the open
third (as it is entabulated).

I think there is an error in the intabulation in that 17th measure. I think
it should be the "d" on the 3rd course (as it is) combined with the open 7th
course (as in "a" below the line), then an "a" (open) second course with an
"a" (open) on the bottom line. That would fit the piece, making an open
(extended, if you prefer - I hate to speak of 12ths, etc, as harmonically
they all come back to the intervals within the octave).

I don't really mean error, just that the tuning may be different. That
closing measure seems to want the parallel open fifths, then the open third,
then the "tickle" into the final G octave open chord, and that finial low G
bump.

Should anyone like this piece in staff notation I'll scan my crossover
transliteration (not well laid out, had to fit it on three unit paper ( two
staves and one tab staff, as downloaded from LSA). I'm going to fit the
piece to my chandora.

Best, Jon