On shaving the bridge--recently made this guitar/lutepegbox thing and at one
point had to shave about 1mm from the bridge--i didn't do it for the sound but
for some mechanical obstacle, but the result was very surprising! The
resonation responsiveness of the guitar augmented to what seem to me with a
third more of its previous resoantion.
Then i tried on some lutes and put my finger on the bridge while the string
resonates (without touching it) and indeed, it is very sensitive! Just like on
this violin here--"buzzing" strings are almost like reeds. The guitar is not
that fussy on touch though...

Normally, a professional lute would have holes drilled deliberately low, and