"Ed Durbrow" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>> Piccinini mentions three kinds of 'tremoli':  1) 'tremolo longo':
'...if it is a 0 you beat on the first, if it is the first you beat the
second and so on... [main note trill]. 2) '...put the little finger on
the third fret of the first string and in the same time the middle on
the second fret , and straight away after you have plucked the string
quickly you leavve the finger, so that it doesn't touch the string; and
quickly and strongly it will go back in the same place, and it will be
done' [Mordent].

> So he doesn't describe whether to start on the main or upper note.

But he does, and Andrea kindly marked it with a short name in square
brackets: [main note trill] and [mordent]. Both start from the main
note, as it says.

> Do you think then that the T sign means you can do any of the above ornaments?

T means tremolo, either longo or secondo. At most places you  can tell
from context which one is suitable.

>> About the trill in cadences I think you are right, and I would play
with appoggiatura when the finger is already prepared. This is the
french way that I can imagine permeated among italian lutenist thanks to
courantes, voltes and so on. So perhaps in this kind of music we must
more elastyc comparing to what we do in french music, where the trill
always starts from the upper note and so on.

There was a thread here about ornaments in English music (Robert Johnson
et al). Stewart McCoy made a guess that trills and mordents always
started from the main note and kept so, but a fashion came up to combine
those two ornaments with an appogiatura. In some manuscripts, two
different ornament signs indicate beginnings either from main or from
not-main notes, respectively, i. e. either without or with appogiatura.
Later on, those falls and backfalls weren't written out any more, as it
was so common to let them precede trills and mordents.

So, I'd say that combinations of trills or mordents with appogiature
from above or below were European, not only French. BTW in French
baroque lute music, mordents or trills do _not_ always start from upper
notes. Have a look into Jacques Gallot's table of ornaments (1670).
--
Best wishes,

Mathias