Taco,

I read Alfonso's message differently than you did. And seeing your message I
can understand why. Alfonso didn't make it clear as to whether he was asking
for list members to evaluate their lutes (as you read it), or to introduce
themselves by introducing which of the various instrument types and music
that fall into the category of lute which they play (which is the way I read
it).

I agree that the list shouldn't be a place that defines which luthier makes
the best, or to spout off about a problem with a lute maker. As you say,
that should be done off list by asking the specific experience of those who
have dealt with them. But to inventory by type could be a way to direct
questions, and to express interests.

I have no opinion on the topic, aside from the suggestions above.

Best, Jon