>I've never heard about archilute with wound basses (forgive my ignorance if
>it is a common practice). If such thing exists, then, man, you will
>have a "grand piano" sound!!lol

In _The Performance of the Basso Continuo in Italian Baroque Music_
UMI Research Press Ann Arbor Michigan by Tharald Borgir, it is stated
that the archlute increased in popularity after about 1680 because of
the introduction of  wound strings which it louder and, as it was
more agile than the theorbo, more practical for continuo.

cheers,
--
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan