If I might may I make a suggestion. Detailed political messages on this
list, or any other devoted to music (or woodworking, or whatever) are not
only inappropriate but also clutter the mail. But everytime this comes up
someone objects that they are losing their "freedom of expression". This is
an international forum, and some may want to express views on topics of
current interest among those they speak with from differing backgrounds.

How about each time you get tempted to write "off topic" you just send a
brief message to the list saying "I think xxxx about xxxx, anyone who wants
to discuss it please email me directly". A compromise, we'll never avoid the
off topic messages - better to control them by guiding them off list.

Best, Jon