Jon,
Thank you for your comments - I agree with them on the whole. Your
remark on the C# in particular is interesting. Still, even if the
transcription was done for keyboard or a more modern harp than Carolan
would have used, the arrangements are interesting for what they are:
late 18th century Irish harmonizations of tunes familiar to those people
at that time. I am sure that there is much more to the engraved music
than I can actually personally dig with my meager musical education,
hence my interest in sharing them with potentially more knowledgeable
people.
I should say that I am primarily concerned in this work as a software
developer who is trying to build tools to make it easier for people to
make their own arrangements, rather than provide final documents. From
that point of view, the applications are rather wider than just a
transcription of a couple of pieces of Irish music. Anyone dealing with
music from the 17th century all the way to the classical era will know
what I am talking about. Even when you are given the continuo figures,
the range of possible interpretations is truly staggering. One way of
resolving that problem is to actually use an actual realization from the
period, even though it may be for another instrument. In that type of
situations, I see three phases of work: the plain transcription of the
realised continuo, a quick and dirty adaptation for your instrument done
by the software, and the final and most important phase, the reworking
of that adaptation done by the player on the instrument to fit the
natural qualities of his instrument and own personal skills. My goal is
to minimize the time and effort needed for the first 2 phases, so that
musicians can go as directly as possible to the third phase.
Of course, real continuo players don't need software - or pen and paper
- to play their part, or at least that is what they will claim if they
are not very honest with you. .. But there is much to be learned from
that exercise anyways. Even if O'Carolan never played a gig with a luter.
Alain