Craig,

> Martin,
>   PVF stands for "polyvinyl fluoride". I seem to remember that it is
actually "polyvinyl carbon floride" but I'm not certain.

I'm a bit confused myself, but let me quote from Mimmo Peruffo's U.S Patent
for "Nylgut" (not named as such in the patent, it is Polybutylene
Terephthalat as used for musical strings).

" Recently PVF (Polyvinyldenchoride), also improperly known as "carbon", has
also been used to make musical strings".

I haven't the vaguest idea what denchoride is, perhaps a form of flouride,
but I have to assume the word is correct as it is in the patent as issued.
Organic chemistry was too complicated for me fifty years ago when there were
a lot less compounds. But I believe all the thermoplastics are compounds of
hydrocarbons, so they all have carbon. Perhaps the denchoride is a "salt" of
carbon and flouride (my old chemistry book is a bit short on that stuff, but
it does show how to make the silicon floride "salt").

Whatever, some call 'em "carbon" and some call 'em PVF - but they seem to be
the same thing.

Best, Jon