From: Jon Murphy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 30 January 2005 08:38
To: 'Lute net'; Rob MacKillop
Subject: Re: Gutsy stories

Rob,

Widening a hole is easy, narrowing it is tough. I note that your email
domain is rmguitar. If your background is guitar you should realize that the
strings pass over a saddle on your guitar, but go directly from the bridge
hole on your lute. The pull on the lute string (with the normal knot) is up,
the loop of the string makes its own "mini saddle" (just went through this
in a conversion). So be careful about widening the hole in the bridge, you
don't want to change the height over the frets. I recommend a fine drill bit
worked by hand, and pressed toward the bottom and sides of the string hole
(assuming the normal knot). Or if you can fit a section of old wound string
through it use the string itself to widen it. Be careful, but if you work
slowly you won't hurt it.

Best, Jon