Jon Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> But I'm sure that I've seen in a scholarly account that point made. The
> ability for the musicians to have their own copy of the music allowed a
> larger group. I'll look for the reference.

I know from personal experience that it is a good thing to put paper in the
hands
of each singer in modern groups; but, when printing of music became technically
feasible during the 1500's, books were not cheap, not as they are now; it has
been
the modern copy machine that makes that truely affordable.  Many more
renaissance
editions were published in parts than in score, the table book was a fairly
late
concept, and (haveing experimented with them), not the easiest thing to play
from
especially when one is myopic.