From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:27 PM
Subject: left hand thumb to stop bass notes

This is a lute-related question.

But first: I asked a question recently on the Google classical guitar
message board about the use of the left hand thumb to fret bass strings in
19th Century Russian guitar music. I got some very interesting responses but
not a definitive answer.

What puzzles me about this Russian guitar music is that sometimes the LH
thumb frets the bass notes (clearly marked with a special sign) and
sometimes the LH fingers fret the bass notes (indicated indirectly). Often
it's not made clear whether it is thumb or fingers. Sometimes, in the same
passage of bass notes, one bass note is to be played with the LH thumb and
the very next with an LH finger.

Playing with the LH thumb requires a completely different LH wrist position
from  'normal' - like you are strangling the neck of the instrument.

Before I started trying to play this music I just assumed that playing with
LH thumb on some bass notes would allow the bass note to be sustained below
the melody. But very often this just isn't the case. So I'm pondering the
musical or technical purpose of LH thumb technique.

Now I think I very dimly remember some discussion of LH thumb technique (for
stopping bass notes) in some lute music - presumably early lute music: lutes
without the extra bass strings that would preclude this technique.

And then today I was killing some time in Cambridge at the Fitzwilliam and
came across this painting by Titian:

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/pharos/collection_pages/italy_pages/109/TXT_SE-109.html

(the first pic)

Evidently it's an earlier version of a painting that is now in the Met in
New York.(Google: Titian, Venus, Lute player, Cupid) Either version will do.
The lutenist clearly has the thumb in the 'strangling the neck' position and
nowhere near the 'normal' position that both guitarists and lutenists adopt
today.

(My wife was a bit baffled by my focus of interest in the lutenist's thumb
in this painting but bought me the postcard nonetheless.)

So: is there any evidence of using the thumb to fret bass notes in lute
music?
If so, do any lutenists today use this technique?  And then, what is the
musical or technical reason for it?