Marion,

I'll make one last try at what I was saying. I was not speaking of
eliminating tabulature or staff notation - or any other way of passing music
from one person to another. I'll have to be more boring than usual and
mention that I spent a long time in data communication - and still have an
original copy of the Proposed Standards from mid seventies somewhere in my
bookshelves. That standard, which was basically implemented as proposed, had
seven levels of activity - the seventh Hell being the raw transmission and
machine level handshaking. It is the sixth level I'm thinking of - the
assembly of the message into a standard format.

Using a parallel standard the various music software programs could be
transmitted between the different programs. A header to define the notation,
the key, the voices and other relevant things. Then a message body to send
the "music". That way any receiving program with the capability of that
notation could recreate it. And in fact the header wouldn't need to define
the notation, if the standard were done well. The receiving program could be
asked to print it in any notation.

Notations are a readable representation of music, and each has its value for
particular instruments. I read tab for my lute and staff for my harp - and
they are convertible from one to the other, we all do that by hand (and some
with a computer program). So my suggestion was only that there be a uniform
notation for transmission that all music software vendors would agree to so
they could accept any other software's transmission.

Much music is sent in a graphic format, that is "in effect" a pixel
equivalent. Then there is the protocol for "audio transmission". My
suggestion is merely that there be a lower level protocol that then can be
translated by the receiving program into the desired format. This is only
for the data transmission. It would be a difficult task, as all subtleties
of notation would have to be covered (like the possible different frets for
the same note), but if done it would ease the task of all programmers in the
future.

BTW, one can reflect pronunciation in print - consider G.B.Shaw's spelling
of "fish" - "ghoti" (gh as in enough, o as in the plural of woman, and ti as
in motion).

Best, Jon