I'm with Chris on this one. Give Herb a break, if he tried to make the first
pass all things to all musicians he'd never finish it (no reflection on your
programming skills Herb, I quote what we used to call Von Neumann's Law in
the early computer business - any system, no matter its percent completion,
is always two years from fruition).

"What is in a name?". An octave is an octave, no matter the scale pattern or
nomenclature. (Yes, I know that if we divided the scale into a different
number of notes the term "octave" might be nonade or pentade, but then in
our western twelve note scale it really should be called a duodecade, and a
minor third a fourth). The matter of temperament is irrelevant as it is
taken care of in the tuning of the frets (or in the fingering on unfretted
instruments). As to other scales, again I go with Chris - for most of us it
is enough to deal with our own scale without getting into oriental or other
scales. And, neglecting temperament, our scale is the same as the medieval
and renaissance in the number of intervals. I'm not sure when the division
of the natural octave (or whatever you want to call it - the doubling of
frequency) into 12 half tones came about, but it has been consistant in
western music for a long time - just the details of the intervals have
changed with changes in temperament.

BTW Chris, what is the "common-practice theory system". My formal training
stopped over fifty years ago (my last text book was Roger Sessions' Harmonic
Practice (1951). But I still refer to it (and to Fux, which is a bit older).

Best, Jon