Chris,

I think you have the problem nailed, polyphony had a great influence in the
development of the scale. I realize that I neglected the hexachord scale in
my previous message, as I neglected the tetrachord scale. But my statement
of the "octave" was correct. The doubling or halving of a frequency will
result in a perfect harmony as all the overtones will be the same (just
higher or lower).

But I don't understand your saying that gamut is a contrivance. As I
understand it gamut is just the name for the lowest note in the medieval
hexachord scales which ran from G to e''. That low G was designated by the
capital Greek gamma, and therefore was the gamma ut. The next ut was the
"la" of that scale (c), and so forth.

Ah so, now I think I see where Mathias hears the ascending and descending (I
am looking at a layout of a seven hexachord scale that is reputed to be the
real thing). The "fa" in the 3rd hexachord and the 6th hexachord is a Bb,
whereas the "mi" in the 4th and 7th is a B #. So my question to Mathias was
wrong. I was assuming the change was a matter of the notorious comma and
temperament. But it still comes to the matter of where the mutation is made.

It would seem that the forms were in transition as polyphony came into
fashion, and that there may have been some contrivances in wording, but not
in the music. This is of interest, and I have to go to my book on early
composition and follow up. In the meantime I beg the list to accept these
first views with an open mind. I have a lot of facsimiles of early vocal
staff notation - as vocal is where I started. Most of these seem to be in
octave format, and some are quite early.

I'd be curious to know why the hexachord scale ever existed. The Greek
tetrachord was a  perfect fourth (with the intervening second and third a
bit undefined as to exact pitch. Understandable, the string range wouldn't
have been great and the instruments were basically a "chorus" behind the
story teller. But once an instrument could have a greater range (and the voi
ce always had that) why would one stop the scale on the sixth (la) when
Pythagorous had investigated string vibrations and sound over a millenium
before. My best guess is that because the music was sacred the church set
traditions, and then musicians bent the traditions to the church. I doubt
that the harpists and pipers of the towns had such theoretical scales, note
the unique scale of the Scots pipes (not unique, just limited).

With the indulgence of you all I'd like to continue in this thread, you have
forced me to my bookshelves and have made this senior citizen's mind have to
work a bit (and learn a lot).

Best, Jon