>Hello everyone,
>
>With today's technology, it is theoretically possible to construct a conputer-
>generated instrument, such as a keyboard, that would always be in tune
>in any key because the computer could be programmed to place the
>Pythagorean comma always on the opposite side of the circle of 5ths
>from the key in which the music is being played.
>Since it is technologically possible, is anyone aware of a case in which
>this instrument has been constructed? If so, I would like to find out
>how to get one.

If I understand you correctly, this sort of thing has been
commercially available for at least 10 years. For example, I have a
synth module called a Proteus/2. It is full of orchestral samples. It
has the capability to play in different temperaments. These can be
changed by sending midi program changes. It is not that difficult to
change the base key of the temperament and send it as a program
change from a computer sequencer. In fact, you could do it with darn
near any synthesizer just by programing the detune parameter if you
wanted to work monophonically.

I believe Wendy Carlos did music along these lines but in a more
gamelan-like tonal world. Also check out Lou Harrison who wrote a
piece for guitar with movable frets (but that doesn't modulate.)

I have not thought this through, but wouldn't you run into problems
if you modulate and then modulate back to the original key by a
different route? For example, if you were using meantone and
modulated to the third you would be quite flat relative to the
starting key I think you could play in one temperament/mode change to
another based on an equal temperament shift and one would notice so
much, yet the harmony within each tonal area would be beautiful
because you could arrange for perfect fifths and thirds or what have
you.

cheers,
--
Ed Durbrow