Dear Gary,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the Laelius, but I may be able to help you
with that Luther story.  Have you checked the following?

G. Rietschel, "Die Aufgabe der Orgel im Gottesdienste" (Leipzig, 1893)

Brenet quotes this as a source detailing the use of lutes in place of organs
in Germany during this period.  Since Brenet's classic book is one of the few
pre-war (indeed, pre-Great War, pub. 1899) musicological researches dedicated
expressly to the lute, doubtless Nettle would have been familiar with it when
he undertook his researches.

Of course, even if this is where Nettle got the story from, it is by no means
certain that Rietschel gives his source (perhaps Nettle didn't quote for lack
of original documentation?)- and on we go ad infinitum!

At any rate, hope this may prove useful!

Best,

Benjamin