>Jon,
I'm not as skilled a turner as you and I'm lazy.  A couple of years
ago I bought a Vega lathe duplicator for my little table-top lathe.
It follows a template made from storm door window plexiglass.  So I
basically round off the stock, take the cutter into to the widest
part of the peg (the head) and then just use the duplicator to guide
the cutting from there.  I can't do as fine a turning as you can, but
I'm happy.

Chad Neal, who lives in Columbus, Ohio and has a lot of experience
turning pegs, says that he once had the same problem and decided that
he was trying to take off too much wood with the shaver.  He
tightened up his turning tolerances and the problem disappeared.
After hearing from Chad, I've tried backing up and beginning to shave
at a larger hole on my multi-hole peg shaver.  That takes off
irregularities and begins to give the final taper.  I then work down
the hole sizes, taking off more irregularities and finally shaving
the peg to the final dimensions.  Not an elegant solution, but it
seems to have taken care of the problem.  I'm a simple man with
simple needs for pegs.  And thank God (and Chad) that a solution was
available, because I don't have an endless supply of the mountain ash.

Tim