David,

We've had honey and tar, and thoughts from afar,
We've had staff, tabulation and forms of notation,
The R&B bass hasn't yet shown its face,
And thats well as it has no relation.

Hell's bells, the specific continuo for a specific piece, to be performed
HIP might require a specific instrument. But the sense of the continuo
should more probably be the sense of the music. I suggest that any
instrument that either matches, or compliments, the lute part could be used
as continuo.

My complaint with the specifics (call it the HIP if you want) is that it
denigrates those old musicians whom we so worship. It suggests that they
wouldn't have liked to experiment with their own sound, and ensemble. It is
we moderns who have fixed the music to a period, the players of the time
didn't know they were in a period - they just played music as they heard
it - and some of them innovated within the structure, and some made major
innovations. That is called the evolution of music, but like the evolution
of species there is a lot of overlap.

Best, Jon