This brings me to a further
> speculation that they were structurally and acoustically very similar.

I would agree.  They would be similar, but have varied in size.

One could speculate that - like the lute - the vihuela originally had four,
then five, then six courses.  The 4-course instrument may have survived
because it was simpler, easier to play?  And because it was a four course
instrument tuned in the same way as the guitarra/mandora/mandola began to be
called "guitarra".

Incidentally In 1487 Johannes Tinctoris says

Furthermore there is the instrument invented by the Catalans, which some
call the ghiterra, and others the ghiterne..(ghiterra: ab alius ghiterna
vocatur).It is obviously derived from the lyra (i.e. the lute) since it is
tortoise-shaped (though much smaller) and has the same stringing and method
of playing.

so the idea that Bermudo's "guitarra" is actually a mandora is not so
unlikely.

The instrument in the Royal College of Music was made by Belchior Dias in
Lisbon, so whatever it is, Dias would probably have called it a viola!

Monica

> Alexander

Certainly