Am Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:05:00 -0500 schrieb Roman Turovsky
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The meantone was likelier in a church setting, because the organ might
> have
> stilll be tuned that way. The opera had no organ, therefore no meantone.
> By
> 1700 opera would modulate sufficiently to forget about meantone.

 From the semitone entry in the New Grove, copied from
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Topics/Meantone.htm :

 From http://music.cwru.edu/duffin/BaroqueTemp/XMT.intro.html :

> <>< The differentiation of the accidentals is discussed by, among
> others, two of the most important instrumental theorists and one of the
> most important vocal theorists of the mid-18th century: violinist
> Leopold Mozart (1756), flutist Johann Joachim Quantz (1752), and singer
> Pierfrancesco Tosi (1723). Mozart remarks that, according to their
> "right" ratios, notes with flat signs are "a comma higher" than those in
> the same position with a sharp sign. Similarly, in discussing
> temperament adjustments in performances with a keyboard instrument,
> Quantz says "notes like D# and Eb, etc. are differentiated by a comma."
> These two comments are clear in the light of Tosi's earlier writing: "A
> whole tone is divided into nine almost imperceptible intervals which are
> called commas, five of which constitute the major semitone, and four the
> minor semitone.É An understanding of this matter has become very
> necessary, for if a soprano, for example, sings D# at the same pitch as
> Eb, a sensitive ear will hear that it is out of tune, since the latter
> pitch should be somewhat higher than the former." With this information,
> we can calculate that the octave is divided into 55 commas: a major
> scale, for example has five whole tones of 9 commas each (45 commas) and
> two major semitones of 5 commas each (10 commas) for a total of 55
> commas. It's called the 55-Division since it divides the octave into 55
> equal parts. Not having the "cents" system, that is the "rough and
> ready" way they thought about the relationship between various
> intervals. Its close correspondence to extended 1/6 comma meantone can
> be seen in the two right columns of the table above, where almost all of
> their respective intervals are within a cent or two of one another.
> While I prefer 1/6 comma meantone because of its acoustically pure
> tritone and diminished 5th, these two temperaments are, for all
> practical purposes, the same.
Thus, extended 1/6 syntonic comma meantone and the 55-Division are
virtually the only tuning systems to satisfy Tosi's, Mozart's, and
Quantz's definition of the difference between sharped and flatted notes
like D# and Eb, G# and Ab, etc. For those outstanding virtuosi of the
mid-18th century, those theorists whose influence is felt to the present
day, extended 1/6 comma meantone is the embodiment of proper ensemble
tuning. ><><

I still have to read this on the topic, it's cited everywhere you go:
Haynes, Bruce. "Beyond temperament: non–keyboard intonation in the 17th
and 18th centuries." Early Music 19 (1991), 357–81.

Best regards,

Stephan

--
Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/