Arto,

I should stay out of this, but I'll stick my neck out having only seen your
message and the quote from RT (those included below).

To me there is only one reason for ET, and that is the chromatic instruments
with fixed strings (piano, harp, etc.), and the need to play them in
different keys. Even meantone is a corruption of the perfection of the
intervals as defined by the overtone scale. We all know the Pythagorean
comma, and that all of the temperaments are compromises to handle it. (Don't
pick on me, I'm trying to write briefly). The only instruments that don't
need a compromise are those with continual pitch ability - like the voice
and the unfretted violin. I would have said that ET was "painting by
numbers", and meantone was "painting with a lot more numbers" (or shades of
tone and interval).

But despite that I'm an advocate of ET, it allows us ensemble play (and that
is another reason for it) on instruments not set to the same base scale.
What we lose in that pure, or near pure, third we gain in the flexibility of
ensemble play. There is a place for each in the spectrum of musical
performance. As string players we sometimes forget the need to work with
instruments not easily retuned (or impossible, in the case some of the
winds). ET is a "lingua franca" of tuning. Not the best for everything, but
one that will work for all.

Best, Jon