From: Michael Thames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 15, 2005 6:34 AM
To: "Dr. Marion Ceruti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Lute  List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: Bent peg box

>Michael
>Were the old swan necks repaired or left in their >deformed
>state, assuming it is possible to tell this from looking at >it?

  Marion,
       I personally drew up some plans of the Yale Jauch, and noticed the
extension was in absolute perfect playable condition. There were other
problems with it but the neck was fine.  Also Hoppy Smith made a recording
using the 1755 Widhalm with a swan neck, as well as the swan neck Hoffman,
and the Martin Brunner.
  The only problems I've heard associated with swan necks were made by
contemparie makers, who used the wrong kind of woods, and didn't copy the
design properly, and this only in the early days.  Now everyone has it down.

++Do you know what kind(s) of wood they used? What was the design
difference?

    I used the word explode, but you seem to give the impression that the
swan neck will self destruct, which obviously isn't true.

++Obivously not. I did not mean to imply this. Small distortions do not
ruin an instrument. I have seen some (very) cheap guitars made incorrectly
that all but self distructed. They made a gradual transition over the years
from playable practice instrument to wall hanger via bent neck (not swan neck).

  BTW are you a lute maker as well?

++No, but I have been known to repair a few instruments and make a couple
of cases.

best,
  All the
Michael Thames