Who cares as to the origins of such a melody, it can stand on its own. (And
can be smaltzy on its own, it has had that same fate as the melody of Danny
Boy/Londonderry Air in that it can be played with intrinsic melodic beauty,
or can be played to the groundlings). Who cares is too strong, one should
always care about finding a source if it is available. But when something
becomes generally known there is always a tendency to assign it to some
source, and most of those assignments are apochyphal. Personally I think it
was a Ukranian folk tune, as brought from the far east by Tamurlane and
built upon, that was stolen by the pervidious Britons (whom we all know
never could make original music).

Best, Jon