If LEUTIKA is a familiar Greek word, I wonder why the only online
reference I can find to it is the name of some guy who got murdered. I did
find a lot of words for ships and boats in Greek - none significantly
similar to LUTE though.

How old is this word? Could it be an independent borrowing from Arabic (al
'ud means "the wood" - could easily refer to a wooden boat)? Or could the
word for the boat have derived from shape of a lute after the lute
appeared in Europe?

Well, if I could find any reference to the word I might track it down.
What is the Spanish cognate?

>>> There is a fascinating discussion on the etymology of LUTE on the
>>> French
>>> lute-list. In a nutshell: not only the Greek provenance of the word is