++In Western music, the emphasis is on harmonic >development, but in
>Eastern music the emphasis is on melodic development

   Yes, but which came first? who influenced who? I'm not a musicologist but
reason would suggest that early Indian ragas set the stage for the oud,
which in turn set the stage for early lute music.
   By the time Alexander invaded India, India had a very well established
musical culture and tradition.  Perhaps it was Alexander's retreating army
that brought back the Indian modes to the Greeks!
Michael Thames

www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com