a moment of levity perhaps to bring this thread to a
close ...

we had a lama and his entourage of 4 or 5 monks
staying with us in london when the pope made his first
visit to the uk.  while only one of them spoke a
little english they had all certainly heard of the
pope and were aware of the differences of opinion
concerning the teachings of christ - much like the
different schools of buddhism.  when we saw the pope's
plane touch down on tv, we sent word up to the
tibetans that the pope had arrived and if they would
care to see this historical event they were welcome to
come down and join us in the sitting room.

"thump-thump-thump" down the stairs they came and we
all crowded around the tv set.

they seemed to be very taken with his clothing, more
than anything else but didn't register any sort of
reaction when the pope knelt down and kissed the
tarmac.

as they were muttering amongst themselves, the monk
who spoke a little english turned to me and asked
"excuse me beel, but is the pope a cadillac?"

i had it in my head to say "coupe de ville, mate" but
replied instead "yes, he is a catholic."

a case of east meeting west with perfect, one could
almost say ... sublime ... understanding.

- bill