Dear Marion,

> Thank you for your very interesting message. I have 8c ren lutes in G and
> and a 13c baroqu lute but no theorbo (yet). How many different kinds
> of theorbos are there and what advice would you have for me as I
> think about what to order?

Well, at least there are the following variants

1) The "normal" (nowadays) theorbo, 14 single strings, two top strings
   lowered to re-entrant tuning, either in a or in g, two peg heads
2) The same as 1, but an octave higher.
3) The same as 1, but about a fourth higher.
4) The "shorter strings double" versions of the 1-3.
5) The "English" theorbo, only the top string lowered an octave, double
   strung(?),  "normally" in g, basses get longer gradually.
6) The "Weiss" theorbo, as a swan neck in d-minor tuning but top f
   missing.
7) A big bass lute (10 course?) tuned as 1, without the extension neck.
   This might be the very first "theorbo" or "chitarrone" used in 1580'`s?

I am sure there a still more variants.

But if you want to play continuo, I recommend strongly the first in my
list. And to me the one in a tuning is definitely more useful; for example
D-major suits very well, and you'll meet that a lot in Frech music of
second half of 17th century. On the other hand g would be better to
let us say Eb-major, F-minor, ... But take the a version and play the
flat pieces by your 8 courser! :-)

All the best

Arto