From: Denys Stephens [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 27 March 2005 21:48
To: lute net
Subject: Re: Printing and Binding

Dear Charles,
Years ago I used to buy music manuscript paper, hand rule an extra line
on each stave and bind the pages into a hard covered manuscript book.
I then copied each piece by hand into it as I learned it - I liked the sense
of connection
it gave me with our historical predecessors. I still have about six of these
on my shelf and can tell what I was playing over the years.

These days, with lots of Fronimo output I use A4 display books - 20, 40 or
60 plastic sleeves in a stiff plastic cover. They open flat. You can put
pages back to back
so it looks like a normal book. For performances I arrange the pieces in
their
running order so there's no panic looking for the next piece. There is a
version
of these folders that allows the individual pages to be repositioned which
is
handy. The only disadvantage is the reflective quality the pages have if
you catch the light at the wrong angle - so you need to be careful about
stage lighting when performing. I also use these folders for microfilm print
outs
of original sources. There is a type that allows you to put a printed insert
on the spine which helps to organise everything on my music shelf.
I find these ideal and would be lost without them.

Best wishes,

Denys