-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 30, 2005 5:46 PM
To: Lutelist <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: Montagna's lutes

Marion,

Often a lute duo would consist of a tenorista playing the tenor perhaps
with a plectrum (or fingers) or playing the tenor and another noncantus
line w/out plectrum (or in combination? see below). Most of the vocal
nonliturgical music (but by no means all) from this period is for 3
voices and this works fairly often.

++Yes, I am familiar with this music.

A very good example would be the duet of the chanson, "Je ne fay" in
the first Spinacino book. There, the 2nd lute part is a nearly exact
intabulation of the lower voices and the top line rattles around in
variations on the cantus that would fit nicely w/ the plectrum.

++Generally it would work well with the cantus or some variant.

A more  exact setting is in the first Petrucci Odhecaton (A). Yet another
setting for organ sets the lower 2 voices in organ tab and the cantus
(w/ diminuations) in mensural notation, again, offering a variety of
interpretations.

++I have looked for a copy of this work and so far I have not been
able to find one. I have plenty of CDs of it so the music must be
available somewhere. It predates the Cantus B.

The words can be found in H.H.'s Odh A or H.M.Brown's
"A Florentine Chansonniere" and the latter translates the humorous
text.

++Interesting. Thanks for the information.

There are more many examples in various manuscripts that fit the lute
duo scenario. Whether they are *specifically* for lutes is open to
debate but Crawford and the late Mr. Schroeder make a strong argument
to the positive.

++I suppose there are endless variations of plucked string duets, or
trios for that matter. Case in point is the CD Three, Four and Twenty
Lutes with Jakob Lundberg, et al. and Emily Van Evera among other
fine singers - proof positive that there is nothing so beautiful as a
bunch of lutes accompanying singer(s).

By the way, I received a note from another of Crawford Young's duet
partners who says another lute technique is to pluck w/ the plectrum
and still use other fingers to get another voice in.

++Does anyone have a video of that?

all the best,
Sean

Best to you, Sean,