As one who has experienced all sorts of memory over 70 years I'll say that
Ed's analysis is technically correct (although I'd disagree with the muscle
memory being the most dangerous, it has saved my butt a number of times on
the ski slope - but an aerial recovery from an unseen bump isn't the same as
playing a fixed piece of music - so regarding music he is accurate).

But, as I'm still a newbie, I wonder about the nature of the pieces (and
this is a question, not a statement). I've not yet branched out into Baroque
lute - and I gather from the messages on the list that they are more of a
"set piece" style with several instruments playing. But regarding the
renaissance lute it was on this list that I learned that "divisions" are
actually almost a form of ornamentation - at least that is the way I'm
looking at them for the moment. The pieces in my limited collection (from
McFarlane's Scots Lute, Damiano's Method, and the kindness of many of you
who have posted pieces on the web which now fill a notebook of printouts)
all seem to have the characteristic of divisions as variations. A repeated
theme, sometimes quite short, with variations.

Perhaps my analysis of that era is wrong, but if right it would seem that
the memorization need only be the theme and that the variations could vary,
and yet fit with the continuo or the other instruments. It raises the
question as to whether the written music of those days really reflects the
play, or merely the composer's guides to his piece that he might have varied
himself. Unlike the full orchestral scores of a bit later the instruments
might have been played more freely. This is speculation, and I bow to the
more knowlegeable. But I wonder if the aural memory, combined with a good
feeling for the scales and harmonys, might be the best memorization for the
lute. The sense of the song may be just the way the old boys played.

Best, Jon