It sounds more and more like you want a lute-Soloette.  Jon's getting you
real close to it.

If you'll willing to all the trouble of using wrest pins and fixing a
nut/saddle of some type, why not just build a mock-up lute?  Fix the
strings at one end, get a couple sets of cheap guitar tuners off e-bay,
glue down the frets/nut/saddle.  It's a bit more woodworking than you
intended, but it would give you something that's tunable.  The upside is
that you'd hear it--barely, a nearby mosquito could probably drown it
out--but you'd get some feedback.  Heck, there might even be a market, a
very, very small niche market, for travel lutes!   Hmmm ... maybe not.

On the other hand, I've seen lots of violinists in situations where they
felt they absolutely, positively had to practice a few passages, and could
not so much as lift their fiddle to their chins.  They'd just place their
right hand near their left shoulder and "finger" their right forearm.  No
strings, no right hand technique involved at all.

Tim B.