Dear all,

     Everyone obviously has their own taste in music.
However, let's not confuse like/dislike with good/bad.
 There is plenty of music (and art in general) that I
can objectively recognize as "good."  That does not
automatically translate into personal pleasure,
though.  So if you like a piece of music, even if you
REALLY like it, that doesn't immediately make it
"good," not even for you.  Ditto for the opposite.  It
is very possible to like bad music, although it takes
a big person to admit it.

For example, much of Mozart's music leaves me cold,
but I can certainly see the aspects of his style that
demonstrate his unique genius.  And, clearly, his
music speaks to a lot of people on many levels.  I
might say the same for Picasso.

On the other hand, there's some music that I know is
not of the highest artistic merit, but I enjoy anyway.
 Can I really justify Black Sabbath?  Aside from
musical matters, some of the presentation comes down
to outright hokeyness.  Yet for some reason it appeals
to me.

I think its fair to critique music, but not each
other's personal tastes, no matter how bad or
embarrassingly laughable each and every one of your
preferences undoubtedly is.

At any rate, I'd easily classify portions of Crimson's
three 1970's lineup of Lark's Tongues in Aspic,
Starless and Bible Black, and Red as part of Western
art music as well.

Chris