Michael,

>     Regarding Williams's memorization act: how many
>instruments and tunings does he perform on on a
>regular basis?  (Koyunbaba doesn't count.)

>Chris

        Well this is really the most beautiful part of a John Williams
concert, or for that matter any concert, isn't it. His ability to perform
flawlessly from memory where everything is perfected to the T. A rare event.
  From my own experience I have no problem going back and forth to different
instruments and playing from memory.  I've heard others do though.
     This whole idea of playing from sheet music is fine, but I believe a
total fabrication of the 20 th century lutenist's.
  I keep hearing the reason for this is grounded in the fact that thesedays
everyone plays 15 different instruments.
  In the past this was not a problem was it? wWere does one find a tradition
of this?
    As I said before it seems that more historical methods suggest
memorization.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Ramon Marco de Sevilla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: Strap Buttons