because the group in which i play tends to walk around
while performing, i tried putting a very simple
harness on my oud made from leather thong boot laces.
i was warned against it, saying i'll be sorry when i
drop the oud ... ahh ... but i was so much older then
..

i passed one leather thong down across the face by the
bridge, under the strings, around the girth and
attached another thong at the front which went off at
a right angle - past where a button would be if i
could bring myself to drill a hole in my lovely oud -
around the butt end of bowl to join the first thong at
the back.  i tied this off at the top near the
uppermost part of the face, ran it around my neck and
joined it to the peg-box, under the strings, behind
the nut.

it was simple, unobtrusive and (i thought) safe ...
till the oud slipped out of the harness and bounced
off the pavement.  luckily, there was no damage done
but even as i'm writing this, my toes are curling.

the problem was solved by switching to a charango with
wooden pegs and by buying a smaller "kids" oud which
is lighter and much easier to handle.

(still wincing) - bill

--- Christopher Schaub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>