i don't have the science to even attempt this but on
the same principle, i once thought that a hand help
loudspeaker (voice gun) could be attached to a
multiple sound producing oscilator of some sort, aimed
at any offending (LOUD!) noise and neutralize it at
source.  sort of a getto-buster instead of blaster.

there's got to be a nobel in there somewhere ...

- bill