>In my eyes that isn't true for Weiss, but I should check >that once again.
>He uses every possible position and his fingering is very >thoughtful.
>Usually he therefore avoids unnecessary shifting of >positions, so very
often notes are played in higher >positions, although they could have been
played also in >the first positions.

>Best
>Markus

        For instance, in the Sonata in D minor 8 Dresden within  the
courante, out of 56 measures of the first repeat, only 2 venture out of
first position.  Of the remaining 79 measures in the last section 20 leave
first position.
  In the Allemande, same suite first section, out of 17 measures 3 leave
first position.  Second section, out of 25 measures 2 leave first position.
Safe to say, I believe that this is the norm.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com