Another characteristic of Carbon strings is that to my eye, they appear
shiny & transparent,  whereas nylon looks more dull & somewhat opaque.

Also, they "feel" different under the fingers.  When plucking carbon, I
notice that the string has almost no stretch to it, as compared to
nylon.  So, it is difficult to develop a sense of sensitivity with it (this
is my opinion - I am sure that others can play sensitively with it, but I
cannot).    I never use carbon anymore, because of the high density, the
sound is too shrill, for my taste.  But, I think it might sound good on a
very dull instrument.

But, if you pick up an instrument & want to know if it is Carbon or nylon,
Carbon is usually shinier, relatively smaller, and brighter in sound as
compared to nylon.

ed

At 09:10 PM 4/11/2005 +0300, Arto Wikla wrote:

>I wrote:
>
> > > How can one tell whether a string is carbon-fiber or nylon?
> >
> > One possibility to do it:
> >  1. Measure the length, diameter and weight of the string (or some
> >     cut piece of it)
> >  2. Use my "sub-calculator" in
> >     http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/wikla/mus/Calcs/wwwscalc.html#P1
> >  3. If the density Kg/m3 given by my calculator is about 1000, it
> >     is nylon, if it is about a little less than 1800, it is "carbon".
> >
> > So carbon is nearly twice as heavy as nylon.
>

>Hey! There is an easy way: Just put the string to water. If it clearly
>sinks, it is hevier than water, which is just as heavy as nylon! So the
>string material is hevier than nylon and water. Perhaps "carbon", or
>at least "non-nylon".
>
>And if the string about stays in whatever deepness you set it, it should
>be nylon! :-)
>
>All the best,
>
>Arto
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812