>Funnily enough I don't take great exception to this, >although it baffles
me
>as to why you would want to be in the company of >lutenists if you think so
>little of our ability as performers!

      Stephan,
   I wish I were in the company of more lute players, but living out here in
Taos, in a house with solar power and water collected from the rain, I don't
get to see many humans let alone lute players.
   Seriously, I didn't criticize the ability of any lutenist, just the
reliance on sight reading.  Don't forget I'm a lutenist as well, I don't
consider myself a guitarist..
    Don't think that you have the whole lute repertoire at your instant call
if you haven't worked on every piece
.     If your giving a concert of Weiss and decide half way thought to play
the Chaconne and happen to have the tab handy, this will hardly be a
professional concert, will it?
  The other day,  Nancy Carlin was telling me about the steady decline of
members of the LSA.  This I think is true all over the classical music world
not just guitar and lute.  If you think this is bad try going to a Jazz
concert.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com