Dear all,

Recently I have been working on the Huwett fantasia by Robert Dowland’s
“A varietie of lute lessons”. I’m trying to find recordings of this
piece but unfortunately I just found two, one from Lutz Kirchof and
another by Nigel North. In both recordings the piece is played as if the
lute was tuned in e. Why is that? Why they didn’t play it on a lute in
g? Was the piece conceived for such a tuning?