> The problem at the moment is indeed the big jumps in sounds from a too
> sharp
> topstring to the "gutsy" 6th G which is also on the fingerboard. Retuning
> F will perhaps solve the 1st string problem, but then it appears again on
> the
> 6 th: this has already a thick pistoy bass and I removed the F from the
> fingerboard to a diapason.

I recorded Corelli at 392 on my archlute (64cm in g'). I used the same
strings (calculated to work at something between 440 and 415, so _very_ low
tension at 392), just tuned down. I have seven courses (all gut) on the
fingerboard. Surspisingly, what I like best on the recording is the very
bassy, clear sound of those very low tension pistoy basses: such a clear
bass line, penetrating even when doubling the cembalo. Better than the cello
they used in some other sonates. ;-)

David

David van Ooijen
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]