With the legato style of playing the baroque lute, there are so many slurs,
hammers-on, pull-off's, etc.  It seems almost opposite of renaissance lute,
where every note is plucked.  So, with the legato left hand work,  it is
really not all that foreign to repeat plucked notes with a right finger.

ed

At 11:14 AM 4/27/2005 -0600, Michael Thames wrote:
>   Howard, and all,
>        It sure would be nice if someone out there could compile a definitive
>method for baroque lute, also citing historical evidence etc.
>    Martin Shepard has a very detailed account of the thumb under technique
>that is really one of the best explanations I've come across.
>   Toyohiko Satoh's  "Method for the baroque Lute" doesn't touch on this
>theory, of not using "A", As a result  a guitarist, turned lutenist, it's
>often times more confusing than enlightening.
>     Also, a guitarist has a natural tendency to alternate I, and M.  The
>idea of repeating the same finger on the same string is totally foreign, but
>very freeing on the baroque lute.
>    I think using "A" came about in the 19th century after Sor's time.
>Michael Thames

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812