>It is still my favorite absolute beginner Baroque book >because of the
>excercises and the early pieces that allow a true beginner >to play
>simple complete suites quickly. The Lundgren has great >material but
>fewer excercises and everything for 11 courses and the >Satoh jumps
>immediately to very difficult pieces (IMHO).

       Both Lundgren, and Satoh's methods don't address the very different
approach from the classical guitar technique.  In fact ,Satoh says it's the
same technique as the classical guitar, and basically assumes one is
starting the baroque lute from the perspective of the guitar, not
necessarily from the ren lute.
       I have not found in either one of these methods any info. on limiting
the use of "A", so it leads the beginner to assume one uses it.  In a number
of pieces Satoh actually writes in the right hand fingering using "A".
     The use of "A" can really only work, if one lifts the LF off the
soundboard when using "A", which incidentally I've heard is what Barto does.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com