Dear Derek,

Don't you just hate that creaking sound? Welcome to the
wonderful world of non-linear peg tuning on pegbox lutes.
Your problem is not confined to cheap lutes. I have had
the same problem on both my cheap lute (which is actually
much better than the average lute for the price) and my
concert renaissance lute.

At least for now, the problem on my lutes appears to
be solved in the following manner. While the string is
still under tension, I mark with a pencil where it touches
the nut. Then I make the string sack and I put some on
graphite from the pencil on the string where it touches the
nut and also in the groove of the nut. I put the graphite on
about a 1cm.-long segment of the string and all around it
because the string moves when you tighten it and the place
where the string originally touches the nut can shift when the
tension is fully applied.

It may take a couple of tries to get enough graphite to stay
exactly where you need it - where the string touches the nut
- but you should notice quite a bit better linearity in your tuning.
At least I can say that this method has worked for me. If you
still have the same problems you may want to take a close
look at the grooves in the nut. They should be round and not 'v'
shaped. The string can get caught on the  nut at the 'v' and
graphite may not be enough to correct the problem. In this case,
you may need to file the grooves with a very small round file or
better yet, replace the nut.

Cheap lutes often have other problems with the nuts, such as
string spacings. If this is the case you may want to repalce the
nut anyway or at least reposition a few of the strings, as needed.

BTW, I **never** have had this problem on my swan-neck
baroque lute, only on the peg-box lutes with the angles
at the nut. If you get a baroque lute, I recommend the
swan-neck variety for this reason. I'm not sure why but I think
they look better too, for some reason. Maybe I have associated
their looks with not having so many tuning hassles with them.
(Beauty is in the eye and ear of the beholder.)

So tell me, Derek, what kind of lute music do you like? I like lute
songs, but only the clean ones.

Good luck to you and let us know how how you are doing from
time to time.

Best regards,
Marion
***MEZZOSOPRANO***