A small addendum to Sean's comment on round grooves. A hobby shop or a
hardware store should have sets of the small "Swedish pattern" files. One of
those is a tapered round (or rat tail), and the end of that is quite small
and good for rounding grooves. You don't need an expensive set as the nut
isn't that hard, many sets of three (triangle, round and flat) cost only
about five bucks US. But be careful if you do it, you don't want to go too
far. Work a bit, try the string, then work a bit more. You don't have to
unstring, just slacken the one you are working on and move it over it's
neighbor on the nut and retighten - that way you can maintain the tension so
the string doesn't relax.

Best, Jon