> It say something about the persistence of our expectations about
> musical instruments that many solid body electric guitars are quite

Fender Stratocasters (solid-body) have a unique psychedelic
sound (top pick-up, lots of distortion and reverb) that I've never
tired of.  The sound is resonant, sophisticated, and versatile.

I know the bridge, neck, electronics, and geometry
are major factors.  But still, until I play a stone-bodied
Stratocaster that "sounds right", I'll bet on wood.

Too bad that electric guitars lend themselves so well to
meaninglessly aggressive performances.