Hello Carl,

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Donsbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: May 15, 2005 3:56 PM
To: letuenet <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: Nonskid lute pad

>> Hello all,
>> The Belgian Lute Society lute manufactures a nonskid cloth for lutenist,
>> but it has "out of Print" quickly. Until September they won't
>> manufacture more. Does somebody know some similar product and where can
>> it be bought it?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Best wishes.
>> Jose Luis
>

> As a beginner I purchased a chamois for washing cars    ,basically oil
> tanned sheep skin.It works very well with no slipping and totally natural
> !!! and I find it smells pleasant!     Regards
> Tom

There is also a kind of rubberized lining material material for kitchen
drawers.

++Yes, I believe you that you refer here to the neoprene mesh material
from Home Depot that has been designed for this purpose.

It's good for keeping things like lutes & vios from sliding
around.  But it doesn't smell or feel nearly as nice as chamois.

++Yes, it works great. I have not noticed a bad smell associated with it
and it feels sticky with respect to shear, but this is how you want it to behave
or else it is not useful for this purpose. I cannot compare it to chamois but
probably it costs less than chamois. The nice thing about the rubber is that
it comes in various colors so you can match either what you are wearing
in the concert or the color of your lute.

Cheers,
Marion
$$$$$Mezzosoprano$$$$$

-Carl