> When it comes to >the physical
>construction of musical instrument, high symmetry means >something
relatively boring and the
>lowest symmetry possible is necessary to construct an >instrument, such as
a lute, that is designed
>to emphasize the different roles of the left and right hands, >respectively
Marion,
     I think it might be wise to get back to the issue at hand, as it
applies to the construction and conception of musical instruments.
    Manolo, said symmetry is a cheap trick, uninteresting  yet,  symmetry is
used in, the lute, guitar, and violin templates of Stradivari, and Arnault
De Zwolle's work containing a drawing of a lute, with an accompanying
description of the method used to draw it. It includes the whole body of
geometry and principles of proportionality which would be used to develop
all new instruments created during the Renaissance, including the violin.
    I was delighted to finally see a lute body, which was symmetrical.
    I know of some lutemakers who copy every defect of proportion.  The
problem with this is, it ends up compounding the defect, and as a result and
new lute is twice as distorted as the original.
   I have already made a mould for the Yale Jauch using symmetry and it
looks very pleasing.  The challenge will be to actually translate the final
outcome of construction, in which case Manolo will be pleased to know, it
probably won't be perfectly symmetrical.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com