Dear Dana,

On Fri, 27 May 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Jon Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > Bringing it back to the lute, your
> > ear is the best tuning device.
>
> Arguable.
>
> Yes, some humans ear will be the ultimate judge, but, diffreent ears
> have different preferences, and, frankly, the human ear isnt capable of
> hearing the differences between close tones without using tricks like
> difference tone beats.  Even with those tricks, one has to correctly
> implement whatever temperament is to be used.

What Jon wrote was "your ear is the best tuning device". I could not
agree more! Of course there are " different preferences" as you write,
but the ultimate criteria really is YOUR ear; in my case my ear, in
every one's case her/his ear! No devidce will ever win my own sense
of tuning well! There really is no "objectivity" here!

All the best

Arto

PS Tomorrow morning: a rehearsal of Monteverdi, and also an interesting
   piece by Trabaci, a spectacle for 3 sirens... :-)