>Plenty of examples, the earliest being several piece in the >Capirola lute
>book.

>Kenneth Be

   Glad this question came up, as I'm confused about this.  I can see in for
instance in Padonana by Capriola is pretty straight forward, but what about
a Pavana alla Ferrarese by Dalsa, that indicates tuning the 6th course down
a step yet at the same time shows an open "a'' on the 6th courses as well?
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com